Sunday, October 30, 2016

Bat Wings Recipe (aka Buffalo Wings Recipe) and some more easy decorating ideas for indoors and outdoors

Hello Everyone!
I am a day behind on my posts as this was the post as this was the posting that I wanted to do yesterday.  However, as so often happens when you are helping to plan an event, I ran out of time to do everything I wanted to do in a day.  What was the event that put me behind you may ask?  The theatre where I work is doing a production of Rocky Horror and, last night, we threw a party with the cast for those who purchased tickets.  After that, we did a midnight run of the show.
At the party, I served the dish that I am going to show you how to make today.  For those who were brave enough to eat it, it was hit.  But these buffalo wings are not for the faint of heart.  Because of their color, they look like they are scorched.  But they are not!  They are wonderfully juicy and tender.

I am really sort of addicted to this whole scene.  I really have to find this movie and watch this.


To do these correctly, you should use a package of just chicken wings and then they will really look like bat wings rather than blackened buffalo wings, but I found a bag of over 60 wings at Costco and, since I was feeding alot of people, I went the more affordable route rather than the artistic route,

Bat Wings

I know, they look like they would taste terrible.  They are very good.

Ingredients
3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. Creole seasoning
1/2 package Zesty Italian Dressing Mix
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
20 chicken wings
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup hot pepper sauce (I use Louisiana Hot Sauce, but you use what you like)
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tbsp. Hoisin sauce
1/2 tsp black food gel (more if your sauce does not get black)

Instructions
1,  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and heavily grease with cooking spray.


2.  Place the flour, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt, Zesty Italian Dressing Mix and freshly ground pepper into a resealable plastic bag and shake to mix.


3.  Add the chicken wings, about three or four at a time and toss until well coated with the flour mixture.  Place the wings onto the prepared baking sheet.  Repeat this for the rest of the chicken.


4.  Once all the chicken is coated and on the baking sheet, place in the refrigerator and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
You can see how the flour has sort of gelled itself to the chicken

5.  After an hour has passed, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
6.  In a large liquid measuring cup, whisk together the butter, pepper sauce, worcestershire, hoisin sauce and black food gel.
7.  Dip the wings into the sauce mixture and place back on the baking sheet.
At the top, I made a batch of wings without the food dye so that you could see the difference.  They are the same recipe, one just looks more terrifying.

 (You will probably want to wear rubber gloves for this part.  I did not and I am still trying to get black dye out from under my nails.)


8.  Bake in the oven until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 45 minutes.
9.  Turn the wings over halfway during cooking so they cook evenly.

To serve, remove from oven and serve with Ranch Dressing or Blue Cheese Dressing, whichever is your preference.

So that was yesterday's post.

Today, I was going to show you how to make some outside decorations for the house.  I am no longer an 18 year old, however, and staying up until 3:30am finally pushed my body over the edge and allowed the illness that I have been fending off from my husband to win. 
Here is me in my Wonder Woman costume inspired by the outfit she had in 2005 when they re-imaged her look and they put her in pants.

So I woke up this morning ill and with strict instructions from my husband that I was to do as little as possible.
While I rested, my darling husband decorated the outside of our house.  So I don't have the craft project that I wanted to show you, but I do have some inspirational photos for decorating the outside of your home and one that you can use indoors.

Mouse Guardians on the Roof

I found some rubber rats that were $1.00 each at the dollar store.  I snapped up a dozen and told my husband I wanted to put them up on our roof so that we would like we were infested with them.  He put some up on the corners of our house and then stashed some around the front porch.

They look like two little rat gargoyles guarding my driveway.

Why is when you back light something it automatically makes it look creepier?

Cobwebs 

These are really a staple and a little goes a long way in Halloween decorating.  I bought two bags this year for two for $4.00 and we didn't even need to open the second bag.  So, we are saving that for next year and it is one less thing we have to worry about picking up.

In this picture you can see the cobwebs and you can sort of see the spooky lights we put in the bushes,

Right before Halloween I add the cobwebs and the eerie lights.  It helps to make actual Halloween a little more fun and special.

Hang cobwebs from anything you can think of, lamps, tables, fireplace mantles.  Just make certain, if you have pets, that you keep it out of their reach.

Creepy Lights and Creepy Crawlies

Ask any movie director and they will tell you that lighting sets the mood.  Get some Halloween lights and put them up in yard with cobwebs.  Instant spooky!
This is an ornamental pepper that I found at the Farmers Market.  I love the black leaves.  I thought it just looked super scary.  I was going to put some orange mums in with them, but never got the chance.  The double bonus is that the farmer that sold these to me assured me that the peppers were edible.

My husband added some rubber rats and snakes in with the ornamental pepper.

Sheets Over Furniture

This is one of the easiest things you can do to decorate.  Especially if you already own white sheets and tablecloths.  Drape them over your furniture, add some cobwebs and you instantly have an area that looks like an abandoned haunted house.

This is a picture from the theatre.  I put some white sheets over the chairs, a black tablecloth over the table and added cobwebs to the candlesticks and the mirror.  Dim the lights and add some battery operated candles to the candle holders and it sudden turns a little eerie,



So, I hope that you can use some of these ideas!  And, after Monday, we can start focusing on Thanksgiving and Christmas!

















No comments:

Post a Comment