Sunday, January 17, 2016

Week Two Frugal Femme Recipes - Roast Pork Tenderloin, risotto and salad

Hello Everyone!
I don't know about you, but I love to use my slow cooker.  Especially on Sundays.  There is something so cozy about having something cooking in the slow cooker during the day while you putter about the house in your comfy clothes, read the funnies and do the Sunday paper cross word puzzle. Although, now that I no longer get a paper, those activities have been replaced with reading on my Kindle and playing Candy Crush.  Although, I alternate those with coloring in the coloring book my husband gave me for Christmas and working in a cross word puzzle book (also a gift from a couple Christmases ago.)  You can see one of my incomplete masterpieces below.
My husband's efforts to make me relax because I can't just sit still and do nothing.
 
So, this is why tonight's main recipe is going to be a slow cooker recipe.

Balsamic Pork Tenderloin

Ingredients
1 pork tenderloin (about 2-3 pounds)
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 cloves garlic, chopped

Instructions
1.  Place pork tenderloin into slow cooker.
2.  In small bowl, whisk together all of the remaining ingredients and pour over pork.
3. Cook pork for 6-8 hours on low heat setting of slow cooker.
4.  Once pork is done (meat thermometer should read 160 degrees), remove from slow cooker with tongs and put onto cutting board.  Break apart lightly with two forks and ladle about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of gravy over pork tenderloin and serve

NOTE: You should have remaining pork and gravy.  Store each in a separate container in the refrigerator as you will be using both of these in other dishes later this week.

Faking It Risotto

I love this recipe.  Purists are going to tell me that it isn't really risotto, but it's delicious and it's easy.

Ingredients
1 cup white rice
2 cups chicken broth or stock 
1-2 tbsp. Boursin Cheese, or more to taste (I like the garlic and herb Boursin for this recipe)
1-2 tbsp. milk (I use 2 percent), or more to achieve desired consistency
pinch of salt to taste

Directions
1.  Put rice and chicken stock in a rice cooker or heavy pot with a lid.  If using a pot, cook rice until all liquid has been absorbed.  If using a rice cooker, follow directions for your cooker.
2.  When rice is finished cooking, add Boursin cheese and milk to rice and stir with non-metal spoon. Add more milk or Boursin, if needed, to reach desired consistency.  Rice should be the consistency of risotto or thick rice pudding.

Salad
I don't really have a plan for a salad recipe for this meal.  I usually just make a basic salad with Ranch dressing.
Basic Salad Ingredients
Iceberg Lettuce
Carrots, shaved
Green Onion
Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Mix all ingredients above with Ranch dressing.  The amount of each ingredient is dependent upon your personal tastes.

NOTE:  I like to use the packaged Ranch dressing rather than the bottled, I feel it tastes better.  Although, it doesn't last as long in the fridge.  So the choice is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment