Monday, January 11, 2016

2nd Post
Hello Everyone!
First, I would like to thank everyone who liked The Frugal Femme on Facebook, I really appreciate the support and I will try not to disappoint.
Last post, I gave the recipe to make a roast chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy.  For two people there should have been plenty of chicken left after the meal to remove from the bones and store in the fridge. You can also take the carcass and turn it into your own homemade chicken broth.  (You can store it in the freezer for months and use it in the portions you prefer.  You can also freeze it in an ice cube tray and use them as needed.)  Homemade broth is delicious, and if you have slow cooker, it is super easy to make.  I promise that I will include that recipe in another post.
You can make another dish with the leftover chicken tonight, but I prefer to rotate my meats so that I am not eating the same type of protein two nights in a row.  Thus we move on to the second night of meals under the two week menu:  spaghetti and meat sauce, Caesar salad and garlic bread.  I know that most people already know how to make spaghetti, but I am going to show you how to make spaghetti so that you will feed two and have leftover ground beef and ingredients to make another night's dinner.
Tuesday Night Meal:  Spaghetti and Meat Sauce, Garlic Bread and Caesar Salad

Spaghetti and Meat Sauce (For Two)

1 can Tomato sauce, divided (I prefer plain because I like to put in my own seasonings)
1 can tomato paste, divided
1/2 pound ground beef (This should leave you with a half pound to put in the fridge for another meal)
1- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning (or more to taste preference)  OR
1/4 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp basil
(If you have an herb garden and have your own herbs, double the amount of herbs.)
1 clove garlic minced (or more to taste)
1/4 cup minced onion (fresh)
1/4 water (can substitute chicken broth, vodka or red wine for deeper flavors)
Pinch of sugar
Salt to taste (can substitute Creole Seasoning with salt)
1-2 handfuls of dry spaghetti pasta (depending on how much pasta you like compared to your sauce)

1.  Brown ground beef in a large skillet on medium heat. When beef is partially cooked, it should look pink and brown, add the onions and garlic. Make certain that you stir constantly because you don't want your garlic to burn and get bitter.
2.  Once meat is brown, drain away grease, if you got a lean cut of ground beef, you should have almost no grease to drain.
3.  Add 1/2 can of tomato sauce (Store the rest in fridge for another meal.)
4.  Add 1/2 can tomato paste (Store the rest in fridge for another meal.)
5.  Add the herbs, sugar and the 1/4 cup water. (You may want more liquid to reach desired consistency.)
6.  Salt to taste preference.
7.  Simmer on low heat until sauce has thickened slightly and the flavors start to merge, about 15 minutes.
8.  While sauce is simmering, prepare pasta according to pasta directions.  (To make the pasta taste better, make sure you boil it with a teaspoon of butter and enough salt to make the water taste like sea water.)
9. Serve meat sauce on top of the pasta.

Garlic Bread

Although you can buy garlic bread in the store for about $1.00, I never use enough and almost always ending up having to throw some away, even way I make bread crumbs and croutons out of it.  Or I just don't feel like the going to the store and buying bread for one meal.  So this is what I call the economy version of garlic bread.
4 slices white bread
1-2 tbsp. freshly grated parmesan cheese (I always have a small wedge of parmesan cheese in my fridge. By small I mean I go to Whole Foods and get the parmesan reggiano you can purchase from there $3.00 cheese bin.  Used correctly, the cheese can last you for months and won't go bad.  Another bonus, it tastes much better than the dried stuff in a can.)
1 tbsp. melted butter
1 clove garlic minced or put through a garlic press
Pinch of basil

1.  In a small bowl, melt the butter in a microwave for about 15 seconds until it is completely melted.
2.  Add the garlic and stir to combine garlic and butter.
3.  In another small bowl, grate the parmesan and add a pinch of basil.  Stir to mix together
4.  Brush the melted butter and garlic onto the slices of bread, being sure to get the garlic pieces on the bed.
4.  Sprinkle the parmesan and basil mix over the buttered slices of bread and place on a baking sheet
5.  Turn on the broiler.
6. Put bread under boiler for about 1minute keeping the oven door open.  This is a short process and may take shorter than 1 minute, depending on how fresh your bread is, so keep a constant eye on it.  You will know it is done when the bread is slightly golden and the cheese has browned on top.  Then remove bread from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. 
Bread is best served warm.

 

Caesar Salad Dressing (Low Fat Version)

I love fresh dressing, so I try to make my own as much as possible. This also means I can change out my dressing flavors without having to buy a lot of dressings.   Plus I can make certain my ingredients are fresh and taste delicious.
I tend to keep plain yogurt on hand for cooking and baking, but if you don't want to keep yogurt on hand, you can buy one small cup of plain yogurt for this recipe, just make certain to add it to your grocery list.
1 single serving individual cup of yogurt or 1/3 cup yogurt
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. red wine vinegar (Frugal Femme Staple)
2 tsp. Worcestershire
1 tsp. anchovy paste (Frugal Femme Staple)
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp. freshly grated parmesan cheese

1.  Combine all ingredients in a bowl; stir well with a whisk.
                             Store any unused dressing for up to two weeks. 
2.  Serve over greens of choice.  I like Romaine lettuce.
3.  Take one slice of the garlic bread you have already toasted and cut into cubes for croutons. Sprinkle over salad.  Yum!
I hope you enjoy these recipes, and I promise that I will add pictures as soon as I get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment