Thursday, April 19, 2018

Easy One Minute Egg or No Excuse to Miss Breakfast

Hello Everyone!
In the attempt to live a healthy lifestyle, and lose about six (ahem, realism check - 3) inches of my waistline, I have been making a conscious effort to eat healthier.  I don't believe in diets and banning foods from myself.  From what I have observed in my personal life, these types of diet plans may work for a short time but they, usually, never work out in the long run- mostly because you are denying yourself everything delicious. 

Yes, this was a real ad at one time.  Don't eat food! Smoke cigarettes instead.  Ummmm.  I think I'll pass.

Instead I prefer to try to make certain that the foods that I am eating are the right proportions according to the Food and Drug Administration.  I also try to make certain that I eat at least three meals a day - and a light snack. This means that there is no missing breakfast - which may be the most important meal of the day but is absolutely the easiest meal of the day to skip. 
To that end, I have been trying to come up with easy breakfasts that I can take to work that aren't just yogurt.  So far, my favorite is what I am calling the one minute scrambled egg. In fact, I love it so much that I thought that I would share it with you.

The One Minute Scrambled Egg


I call this recipe the minute egg but sometimes it can take less or more time, depending on how cold your fridge is and how powerful your microwave runs, but I have never had it take less than 30 seconds or over 1 minute and 15 seconds, so I have averaged the time and call it the minute egg.  This recipe can be easily modified to suit your personal taste - but my recipe is very low in fat, although it doesn't taste like it, so, do yourself a favor and don't make it with egg whites to try to reduce calories.

I have included pictures so you can see what the eggs look like during the different stages of cooking.

Ingredients
1 egg
1 tbsp. crumbled sriracha cheese (I get mine from Trader Joe's and I get the smallest block I can because a little goes a long way.)
1-2 tbsp Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles (I freeze mine.  They come in a bag that contains too much for me to eat before they go bad, so I store mine in the freezer.)

Instructions
1.  The night before, or in the morning, put all of your ingredients into a small, glass dish. (Don't crack the egg.)  I like to use the small, square, single serve, dishes that are made by Systema and you can get for about $3.00 at Marshall's.  But any microwave safe dish that has a lid and is about the size of a tea cup will work. I have actually made this dish in a tea cup.  It looks so cute!!!
I just leave the egg like that, but if you're nervous, you can always wrap it.

2.  Once you are ready to eat your breakfast crack your egg into the dish.  (You don't have to worry your egg will stick if you follow these instructions, so you don't have to worry about "greasing" the dish.


With a fork, lightly beat the egg, sausage and cheese until they are "mixed" together.


3.  Put in the microwave  and cook on high for 15 seconds.  Stir with a fork.

4.  Put back in the microwave and cook on high for another 15 seconds.  Stir with a fork.  Pay special attention to the sides as the egg will be warmer here than in the center.



5.  Put back in the microwave and stir for another 15 seconds.  Stir with a fork.  The eggs will really start firming at this point.  In fact, in some microwaves your eggs will be ready.


I know its kind of hard to see, but the sides are firming in this picture.

6.  Put back in the microwave and cook for another 15 seconds.  At this point your eggs will, in most cases be ready.  You will know it is done when your eggs look cooked around the side but are still wet-ish in the center.

 I know this sounds wrong, but once you stir the egg with a fork, the heat from the rest of the egg will finish cooking the eggs.

This will produce lovely, moist, fluffy eggs.  If you like your eggs drier, you can cook them for another 15 seconds.  I like to have these eggs with fruit - either a banana, half an apple, or grapes and Mrs. T's Bloody Mary Mix in the can.  Yum.

Whatever you do, don't put the eggs in for one minute and skip the stirring.  This will end up in very rubbery, slightly gross eggs.

Do y'all have any breakfasts to go that you like to do for a workday?  If you do, I would love to hear what they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment