Monday, December 12, 2016

Leftover Roast Turkey Pasta Soup - Wednesday, One Week Menu

Hello Everyone!
Still playing catch-up and on my second blog of the day.
I know that I have already shown you how to make gumbo and that is a type of soup, but I REALLY love soup, and I love to make soup out of leftovers.  This recipe can also work with chicken.  In fact, I may have already posted it with chicken, but it was really meant for turkey, so I thought that I would add it again.


Leftover Roast Turkey Pasta Soup

Ingredients
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 cups homemade chicken broth, or one can 14.5 oz. each chicken broth
2 cups water
1 envelope Good Seasonings Zesty Italian Salad Dressing Mix
2 cups leftover turkey, cubed
1/2 cup bite sized pasta of your choice, uncooked

Instructions
1.  In a large, heavy bottomed stock pot, heat oil over medium heat until the oil starts to "shimmer".  
2.  When the oil is ready, add the onion, carrot and celery and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3.  Stir in chicken broth, water and dressing mix.  Bring to a boil.
4.  Add the turkey and the pasta and cover.  
5.  Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 10 to 12 minutes until pasta is tender.


Grown-Up Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Cheddar Cheese and Shallots


I always have leftover, non-cooked shallots when I do my pan roasted shallots, this recipe helps make certain that they are used before they go bad.  This recipe is not my recipe, I got it from America's Test Kitchen in their free recipes.  I tried to find it online again but I guess it is too old or I looked up the right name.  So I am going to put their recipe here, but I also thought that I would include ten other grown up grilled cheese sandwiches from the queen of diy-Martha Stewart.


Ingredients
7 ounces aged cheddar cheese, cut into 24 equal pieces; at room temperature
2 ounces Brie cheese, rind removed (or the mini Trader Joe Brie with the rind)
2 tbsp. dry white wine or vermouth
4 tsp. minced shallot (can also use green onion)
3 tbsp. butter, softened
1 tsp. Dijon mustard (I like the ones that have dill or champagne in them)
8 slices hearty, white sandwich bread

Instructions
1.  Process cheddar, Brie and wine in a food processor until a smooth paste is formed, 20 to 30 seconds.  Add shallot and pulse to combine, about three to five pulses.
2.  Combine mustard and butter in a small bowl.
3.  Spread the mustard butter mixture evenly over one side of slices of bread.  Flip four slices of bread over and spread cheese mixture evenly over slices.  Top with remaining four slices of bread, buttered side up.
4.  Preheat 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium heat for two minutes.  Place two sandwiches in the skillet; reduce heat to medium-low; and cook until both sides are crispy and golden brown, 6 to 9 minutes per side, moving sandwiches to ensure even browning.
5.  Remove sandwiches from skillet and let stand for two minutes before serving.
6.  Repeat with remaining two sandwiches.

Two more  days of recipes left to go.  I will keep trying to post more than one a day so that I can do some of my Christmas posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment