Sunday, November 13, 2016

Pumpkin - Its What's for Breakfast!


Hello Everyone!
I woke up this morning, there was an almost-crisp chill in the air, and I decided that I wanted to have a Fall inspired breakfast.  For me, my two most favorite Fall fruits are apples and pumpkins.  Unfortunately, I didn't have any apples, having eaten the last of them the night before for my evening snack, but I did have one of my pumpkin smoothie packets remaining.  Using this as inspiration, I decided that I would create Pumpkin Pie Waffles!


Pumpkin Pie Waffles

I admit, I cheated on this recipe and did not make "homemade" waffles.  Instead, I got some help from Pioneer Brand Baking Powder.  Its just plain easier than measuring flour and baking powder, etc.  For those of you who are purists, I apologize but I was out of the homemade pre-made stuff.  (That recipe will follow at a later date.)

Ingredients



1 cup baking mix  (I used Pioneer, and that may make a difference on the wet measurements)
1 egg
1/4 can of pure pumpkin puree  (If you are measuring, this is slightly less than 1/2 cup pumpkin)
3/4 cup milk or buttermilk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. raw cane (Turbinado) sugar

Instructions
1.  In a large mixing bowl combine the baking mix, egg, pumpkin puree and milk and whisk until all the ingredients are combined.  (If you follow my blog, you can see from the picture above that I used one of the packets I created for my pumpkin smoothie. (For instructions on the smoothie, please see the link below.)

http://frugalfemmecarole.blogspot.com/2016/10/pumpkin-pie-smoothie-its-not-as-scary.html

If you too are using one of your frozen packets, you will need to gently squeeze the defrosted pumpkin to get some of the extra liquid out of the pumpkin left over from the ice crystals formed during the freezing process.)
Adding the egg to the baking mix
As you can see by the picture, 1/4 of a can of pumpkin puree is slightly less than 1/2 cup of pumpkin.
 
Once you have mixed everything together, it turns this lovely orange color and really looks like you are making pumpkin pie.                                             
2.  Add the remaining ingredients to the pumpkin mixture.

I know it looks like alot of spices, but trust me.

Gently whisk until all of the spices are combined into the pumpkin mixture.
With all the ingredients in the bowl.

3.  The next few steps you will need to follow the instructions for your particular waffle machine.  So I am speaking in generalities when it comes to cooking your waffles.
Spray your waffle machine with oil or non-stick spray.  (This is a good idea even if your machine has non-stick plates.)
Ladle the waffle mixture into the machine. Making sure to fill it as full as your machine instructions advise.



4.  Close the lid and cook until done.  (This ranges from machine to machine.)

Yum.


Serve warm.  

Serving suggestions:  I served my waffles with butter and REAL maple syrup.  But this would also be good with apple butter, or powdered sugar.

For many, breakfast wouldn't be breakfast without coffee.  I am a tea person myself, but I do love all the different flavors for coffee that become available for the fall and Christmas.  If you don't want to go to Starbucks in the morning but would rather stay in your pj's, and you want a REAK pumpkin creamer for your coffee rather than just something that is pumpkin flavored and full of corn syrup, here is the recipe for you!

Spiced Pumpkin Pie Coffee Creamer


Sorry, I don't have pictures for this one, I was focusing more on taking pictures of the waffles.  But its super easy to do, so I don't think you will have any trouble making this, even without pictures.

Ingredients
2 cups heavy cream, half-and-half or milk of your choice  (You can even use almond milk.  This will effect the flavor however and, if you are using Vanilla almond milk, do not put in the vanilla and only use 2 tbsp. of sweetened condensed milk.)
1 12-oz can sweetened condensed low fat milk (I like Carnation)
3 tbsp. pumpkin puree  (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla

(You do no need to add any sugar to this.  It gets plenty of sweetness from the sweetened condensed milk.)

Instructions
1.  In a large measuring cup or medium size bowl, combine all of the ingredients and whisk to combine.
2.  Pour into a 1 quart canning jar or resealable container.  (I really like those plastic containers with the flip top lid for pouring.  I think they are technically for salad dressing, but they work great for this.)
3.  Store in refrigerator for up to two weeks.  (I find that the heavy cream and half-and half last the longest in the fridge, but you can do a more low fat version with the milk.  Especially if you use 2% milk.)

Serving Suggestions:  Shake before using.
This recipe will make about 3 1/2 cups of creamer.


I took this picture off of another website because I think it is adorable.  So the credit goes to her.  If you would like to see the website and her recipe for vanilla creamer, go to this link: http://www.cozycakescottage.com/2012/02/10/diy-project-homemade-coffee-creamer/




I hope you enjoyed this Fall inspired breakfast!  Soon I will be posting instructions on how to make your own table decorations for Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving week will be the start of another two week menu inspired by the Thanksgiving holiday.  


No comments:

Post a Comment