Thursday, May 5, 2016

Mother's Day Brunch Meals, Brunch #3

Hello Everyone.
I am so nervous and excited!  Tomorrow I start my guest appearances for The Frugal Femme Friday's on 103.3's morning show Jeff and Company. 


There is no vintage version of this logo. :-)

I go on EARLY in the morning, or at least early for me.  I go on after 6:30 and before7am and I think I will be on, off and on, throughout the morning.  I am usually still sleeping then so, hopefully, I will be coherent and interesting to listen to.  If you are from Baton Rouge, awake, and near a radio, please listen to me tomorrow. 
Okay, enough of plugging myself-- onto the third and most complicated of the brunches!
This brunch is inspired by a Jacques Pepin cooking show I saw on LPB's Create TV.  I haven't really changed the recipe at all except to change the portions for two people.  If it is more than just you and your mother for dinner, here is a link to the original recipe:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/aspen-2003-les-oeufs-jeannette-eggs-Jeannette

I tried to find the video from his show for public television, but I could not find it.


Jacques Pepin Eggs Jeanette

Don't these look fancy?  Imagine them on top of a bed of Romaine lettuce.  Elegance personified

Ingredients
3 large eggs (preferably organic)
1 tsp. chopped garlic (I use more than Jacques because I like mine garlic-y, but you can use less if you would like.)
1 tbsp. dill  (Jacques uses parsley.  I don't care for parsley so I substituted dill.)
1-2 tbsp. whole milk  (I don't have whole milk.  I have two percent and it turns out fine or, if I have it, I add a little sour cream to my milk to thicken it up a little.)
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
(This recipe is SOOOO good if you also add a few drops of truffle oil)
Crunch French bread

Dressing
1-2 tbsp. left over egg dressing
1/2 tbsp. Dijon style mustard
1/2 tbsp. water
Dash of kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

Instructions
1.  Put the eggs in a small saucepan and cover with boiling water. Bring to a very gentle boil and let boil for 9-10 minutes.
2.  Drain off the water and shake the eggs in the saucepan to crack the shells. (Jacques Pepin says this will help in the removal of the shells later on.)
3.  Fill the sauce pan with cold water and ice and let the eggs cool for 15 minutes.
4.  Shell the eggs under cold running water.  (I admit it, I don't do this, I stand above my counter and shell them.  Bad Carole!) Split the eggs lengthwise.  (Just as you would if you were making deviled eggs.)
5.  Carefully remove the yolks and put them into a bowl.  Add the garlic, dill, milk, kosher salt, and pepper.  Crush with a fork to create a coarse paste.  (Here is where you can add the few drops of truffle oil.)
6.  Spoon the mixture back into the hollows of the eggs whites, reserving 1-2 tbsp. of the filling to use in the sauce.  (This is where you do not want it to be like deviled eggs.  You want the filling of the egg to be even with the egg white to create a flat surface.)
7.  Heat the vegetable oil in a non-stick skillet and place the eggs stuffed side down.  Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until the eggs are beautifully browned on the stuffed side.
8.  Removed and arrange stuffed side up on a platter.  (In the television show, Jacques Pepin lay down a bed of sauce first and then put the eggs on the sauce, stuffed side up and then drizzled more sauce.  LATER ON IN THIS RECIPE, I am going to show you another way that you can serve this.)
9.  For the dressing, mix all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl or a mini food processor until all the ingredients are well combined.
10.  Coat the warm eggs with dressing and serve lukewarm with crunchy French bread.

NOTE:  This is a delicious way to eat this meal and is how I ate it when I prepared the eggs in the picture I have posted here.  Another excellent way to eat this is over Romaine lettuce.  Put the lettuce in a bowl and then toss gently with about half of the dressing.  Place the eggs, stuffed side up on top of the salad and drizzle with the remaining dressing.  Sprinkle with two-three slices of crumbled bacon that you have pre-prepared.  (Please don't use pre-packaged bacon bits, they do not give the same texture and flavor.)  You can add other things to this salad, such as green onions, but I find that it is more delicious if you leave it simple.  Serve the salad with French bread.

French Bread in the Bread Machine

This is another one of those items that I *'ed in the first Mother's Day post. This is because French bread is so easy and inexpensive to buy these days, with many grocery stores selling them for $0.99 per loaf, so why go through the hassle.  But I have included this recipe in case you want to make your own French bread the day before and make your mother believe that you are a genius in the kitchen.

As you know, I don't come up with many of my own baking recipes.  This recipe is no exception. I wish that I could remember where I got this recipe, but I wrote down this recipe years ago, before I realized I might be sharing recipes on a mass medium,  and I did not record where I found it.  I apologize to the baker who created this yummy bread recipe for not giving them credit.

Ingredients
1  1/4 cups water (70-80 degrees)
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 1/2 cups bread flour (Yes, you have to use bread flour it doesn't come out right if you don't.)
1 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast (1 packet)
1 tbsp. cornmeal

Glaze
1 egg
1 tbsp. water

Instructions
1.  In a bread machine pan, place the first 5 ingredients in the order suggested by the manufacturer.  (This is why I never throw away the instruction book that came with my machine, I can never remember the order of ingredients.) 
2.  Select the dough setting.  (Check after 5 minutes of mixing to see if need to add more water or flour.)
3.  When the dough cycle is completed, turn dough out of the pan onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough in half. Roll each portion into a 10 inch by eight inch rectangle.  (If you don't have a ruler and need a guideline, regular paper that goes in office printers is 8 1/2 by 11.  So you want it slightly smaller than a piece of printing paper.)
4.  Starting with the long side, roll up, jelly roll style and pinch the seams to seal.
5.  Sprinkle a greased baking sheet with cornmeal.
6.  Place the loaves, seam side down on the prepared pan.
7.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until the loaves have doubled, about 20 minutes.
8.  Whisk together the egg and water and brush the mixture over the loaves.
9. with a sharp knife, make four shallow slashes across the top of each loaf.  (This will make the bread look cool and like you bought it at a bakery.  I'm sure it does other things as well, but, for my mom, I am all about how it looks.)
10.  Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
11.  Cool on a wire rack.

Tomorrow I will be back with some ideas for decorating the table now that you have a menu and some last minute, hand made gift ideas that your mom will adore and your pocket book will love.


No comments:

Post a Comment