Sunday, April 17, 2016

Frugal Femme Two Week Menu #2: Week Two, Saturday: Grilled Steaks, Savory Grilled Corn and Twice Baked Potatoes

Hello Everyone.
I'm so excited!!!!  My onion is sprouting!  Last week I had planted  dried onion bulbs in the hopes of growing my own red onions. Every day I would go out and check their progress and it seemed like nothing was happening.  Then, yesterday, like magic, I had three sprouts!!!!   I'm so stoked.  I have no idea how long they take to mature, I'm going to have to research that on the internet, but they are growing and that is all that I can ask for right now.
Since I am a meal behind, we are doing the steaks tonight.  This means that I will do the prep work, but my husband will man the grill. 


I love these fifties images.  Everything looks so cheesy.  Look at me!  I am all that is man, as I pose like I am getting ready for a Captain Morgan's Rum commercial.

I don't know why, but I have never learned how to grill on an outdoor grill.

Although I do know better than to let smoke blow up my skirt and allow the neighbors to see my stockings!

But, I never have learned.  Thus, whenever I want anything grilled I ask my husband if he would mind grilling for me.  I am certain that I could learn to grill, but now it feels like tradition and I enjoy having an adult beverage or glass of wine while my husband grills.

In this particular meal, the sides are going to take way longer than the steaks so you want to do them first in the order that I have given in this post.

Savory Grilled Corn

Corn was one of the few vegetables that I would eat even when I hated vegetables.  But their sweetness actually disturbs me.  So most of the recipes that I come up with for corn try to make them a little more savory.  This recipe is no different.




Ingredients
1/2 cup mayonnaise (No, do NOT use Miracle Whip, it comes out too tart.)
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried minced onion
1 tsp. dried dill
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
3 medium ears sweet corn, silk and husks removed
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Instructions
1.  In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, garlic, dried minced onion, dill, salt and pepper. Mix until combined.


2.  Spread over the corn.


3.  Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.


4.  Wrap each ear of corn in a double thickness of heavy-duty foil that has been thoroughly sprayed with oil.  (I like to use olive oil spray.)


5.  Grill, covered, over medium heat for 30-35 minutes or until the corn is tender, turning occasionally.

 

Twice Baked Potatoes

Okay, so I have done this the correct way, and then I figured out how to cheat.  This is the recipe where I show you how to cheat.
Also, there are no wrong ingredients in a twice baked potato.   I used leftovers that I had from other meals, but you can use anything you like on your potato.  When in doubt, look at what is served on potatoes in restaurants and put that on your potato.
Also, the measurements for this are not set in stone.  You can put more or less depending on your personal tastes.  Basically what I am telling you, is just use this recipe as a guideline so that you know cooking times and temperatures.

Ingredients
2 large potatoes, Idaho potatoes are the best for this, but I had golden potatoes so that's what I used
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 cup Italian shredded cheese mix
1 tsp. dried dill (although I skipped it this time because I of the dill in the corn.)
2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
Onion salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Instructions
1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2.  Scrub two large potatoes and put them in them in the microwave for 10-14 minutes.  (Timing depends on the size of the potatoes, test them after 10 minutes, if they are squishy when tested, they are good to come out of the microwave, if they still feel firm, cook them the full 14 minutes.)
3.  Once the potatoes are done, remove them from the microwave.  Let them cool for at least 5 minutes so that you can handle them- if you try to do the next few steps as soon as they come out of the microwave, you may burn yourself.
4.  Cut off the top quarter of the potatoes and scoop the potato out of both the top and the bottom, making  an empty bowl of the bottom of the  potatoes. Put the empty potato skin shell bowls into a baking dish or into individual baking dishes


5.  In a small bowl combine the pulp of the potato, and the remaining ingredients; mash with a fork until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.


6.  Put the potato mixture back into the empty potato shells.  Sprinkle the tops with cheese.


7.  Place the potatoes in the oven and bake for 15 minutes until the tops are a lovely golden color.



Grilled Steaks

Steaks are possibly the easiest of foods to prepare.  It is the cooking  where everything can go so, so, wrong.  This is a very simple steak recipe as it does not involve a marinade.   For this recipe you will want to make certain that you have good cuts of meat or the steaks will only be okay instead of a little piece of heaven on earth.

Ingredients
2 steaks  (I like rib eyes, but you choose the cut that you like best.)
2 tsp. olive oil
8 drops white truffle oil (4 per steak, two per side)
garlic salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 tsp. garlic salt

Instructions
1.  Let the steaks sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour to get closer to room temperature.
2.  Rub the olive oil, truffle oil, garlic salt, and freshly ground pepper onto all sides of the steak.


3.  Let the steak sit with the salt and oil for 30 minutes.
4.  Place on the grill and cook until desired doneness.  If you want your steaks medium rare that would be about 4 minutes per side.
5.  Remove from the grill and cover loosely with foil.  Let sit for 15 minutes to allow the meat to settle. 
6.  Serve with your prepared sides.

This makes the final meal of this round of the Frugal Femme Two Week Menu!!!!  I will be posting later this week to give the recipes that I promised to pull off an amazing Mother's Day Brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment