Friday, May 5, 2017

Huevos Rancheros for Two

Hola Everyone!
It is Cinqo de Mayo today and I hope that you are out enjoying the day by eating some good Mexican or Tex-Mex food.


In today's blog I have a treat for those of you who didn't get to have Mexican tonight or want to keep the party going and have Mexican for breakfast.  I originally saw the inspiration for this recipe on America's Test Kitchen one evening and grew almost obsessed with making it.  But I couldn't find the recipe online without paying for it, so I had to go online over and wait for the video to be posted to their website and I then watched the video over and over to get the measurements, temperatures and times right.
As I always do, I had to make some changes to this recipe to change the portions to size it down for two.  I also had to change some of the recipe ingredients because their recipe called for cilantro and green onion.  I felt there was already enough onion and my husband hates cilantro so out those two items went.  I also felt that it was a little too tomato-y tasting and needed more seasoning so I added some spices and lessened the salt and pepper used.  So, though this recipe was based off of theirs and uses their roasting technique it is not their recipe.  There, now that my conscious is clear, I will get on with the dish.
Also, surprise!  I remembered to take pictures while I made this.

Huevos Rancheros for Two


This may be an almost perfect Frugal Femme recipe, the total cost for the dish is about $7.00, if that.  I don't know the exact cast because I already had the eggs, onion, garlic, tortillas and cheese on hand, so my total purchase was $5.00.  Eggs are a perfect inexpensive form of protein and this dish can be either a breakfast dish or be eaten for dinner.



Ingredients
1 (20 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp. packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. lime juice
1 small onion or half of a large onion, chopped (largely diced)
1/4 cup chopped canned green chiles
2 tbsp. olive oil  (If you don't have olive oil, I have used Canola oil)
1 1/2 tbsp. chili powder
3 cloves garlic, sliced thin or chopped - do not mince, you want larger pieces
salt
1/8 tsp. cumin  (this is an approx. amount, I just sprinkle it in)
1/8 tsp. basil  (This is an approx. amount.  I just sprinkle it in.)
2 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup although you can do more or less)
4 eggs
4 tortillas, warmed
1 avocado, halved, pitted and diced

Instructions
1.  Prepare your oven for cooking by moving your oven rack to the middle position of your oven and preheat oven to 500 degrees.
2.  Line a rimmed small baking sheet with parchment paper.
3.  Drain tomatoes in a fine mesh strainer placed over a bowl or large liquid measuring cup.   Press the tomatoes down with your spatula, and I mean really press down as you want to try to make the tomatoes as dry as possible and remove as much juice as you can.  I have a small strainer, so I had to do this in batches and had to place my tomatoes in a small bowl to the side after they were done draining and then move on to my next batch.

Reserve 3/4 cups of the tomato juice you strained from the tomatoes in a 2 cup liquid measure or small bowl, although you are going to have a lot more than that left.  You can save the leftover juice for another recipe.


4.  Whisk sugar and lime juice into the reserved tomato juice and set aside to use later in the dish.
5.  In a separate, medium sized bowl combine onions, chiles, oil, chili powder, garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt and drained tomatoes.  Stir until all of the ingredients are combined.




6.   Transfer the tomato mixture to the prepared, rimmed, baking sheet and spread, in an even layer, to the edges of the sheet.


I know its kinda hard to see, but this is the mixture going all the way to the edge of my pan.

7.  Place in the oven and roast 35-40 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking time and making certain to spread out on the baking sheet to the edges after stirring.  Cooking the tomatoes for so long on such a high heat will "char" the tomatoes and the mixture will look slightly burnt, that is fine, it helps to get the flavor right.

The mixture after it is removed from the oven.

8.  Remove from oven and reduce heat to 400 degrees.
9.  Transfer the roasted tomato mixture to a square baking dish.  Stir in the reserved tomato juice mixture that you set aside.  Stir until the roasted tomatoes have "re-hydrated".



Here the tomato juice is almost all soaked up the way that you want it.

10.  Season with the cumin and basil.
11.  Spread the mixture in an even layer in the baking dish.
12.  Sprinkle the pepper jack cheese over the tomato mixture.
13.  Using a spoon, hollow out a hole in the tomato.  Carefully break an egg and "pour" it into the whole.  Repeat this process three times making two rows in the baking pan.


14.  Place in oven and bake for 13 minutes.
15.  When you remove the eggs from the oven, the eggs should still be a little bit jiggle-y when you gently shake the dish.  This is fine because you are going to finish cooking them in the next step.


16.  Transfer the dish to a wire rack or place in a warm location and tent loosely with aluminum foil.  Let the eggs sit for 5 minutes.  This will finish cooking the eggs.

Its hard to tell in the picture, but these are the eggs that are less jiggly.

(NOTE:  If you cook the eggs for the times that I have notated here, your eggs will turn out with the yolks a gel like consistency like jam.  My husband and I called eggs cooked this way jammy eggs.  If you want your eggs firmer, cook them one minute longer before removing from oven.  If you want your yolks more liquid, then take them out around 11 to 12 minutes after baking.)
17.  Serve with the avocado and tortillas.  (I would not suggest skipping the avocado, it adds a creamy consistency to the dish and also helps to cool some of the spice "heat" from the dish.)


If you live in Louisiana, I would suggest using Hola Nola wraps as they are my favorites.  (No, I'm not getting paid to say that, I genuinely just think they are the best.  I love a tortilla that I don't have to microwave to keep soft and these fit the bill.  Plus, they are locally made if you live in Louisiana so why wouldn't you want something that fresh?)

Since I am posting this as a breakfast dish, I also thought that I might add an breakfast adult beverage to suit the dish.  To be honest, I haven't tried this recipe yet, but is marked in box as one that I have to try.

Tequila Sunrise Mimosas


Picture from the Give Me Some Oven website.

Don't those look delicious?!?!?!
To get the recipe, just click the link below.
https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/tequila-sunrise-mimosa/

Well, that's it for this post.  I hope you enjoyed it!  I'll be back in time to give some ideas and recipes for Mother's Day.

I wonder what the inside of this card says.

No comments:

Post a Comment